We are seeing more and more uninsured motorists today than ever before. There are many reasons why there are so many uninsured motorists today.
Some of the most common reasons include:
- Due to the costs of car insurance and the hardening California auto insurance market, carriers have been placing 10-30 day holds on ALL NEW BUSINESS, or they are not writing any new business policies. We are seeing more and more drivers on the road without insurance.
- We’re seeing more and more clients cancelling coverage either because they aren’t paying attention or the costs of their insurance has gone up due to tickets/accidents, young drivers or high value vehicles. The reality is that ALL auto insurance companies in California have put a pause on new business policies or you’ll have to wait 10-30 days before they’ll write your policies. At this time paying your bill is the best option.
- Misunderstanding of the law: Some people do not understand that they are required to have car insurance in order to drive legally.
Deliberate choice: Some people choose not to have car insurance because they believe they are unlikely to be in an accident. Others may believe that they can afford to pay for the damages if they are in an accident.
- Inability to obtain insurance: Some people may be unable to obtain car insurance because they have a poor driving record or a history of making claims. Companies have effectively shut down writing new business for drivers with bad driving records.
If you are involved in an accident with an uninsured driver, you may be able to file a claim with your own insurance company. However, you may not be able to recover the full amount of your losses. This is because your insurance company will only pay up to the limits of your coverage.
Here are some tips for avoiding uninsured motorists:
- Drive defensively: This means being aware of your surroundings and taking steps to avoid accidents.
- Be aware of the laws in your state: In some states, it is illegal to drive without insurance.
- Check the insurance status of other drivers: Before you get into a car with someone else, ask them to show you their insurance card.
- Purchase uninsured motorist coverage: This coverage can help to protect you financially if you are injured in an accident with an uninsured driver.
What is uninsured motorist coverage on your auto insurance policy?
Uninsured motorist coverage (UMC) is a coverage on your car insurance policy that can pay for your medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering if you are injured in an accident caused by a driver who does not have car insurance. UMC can also pay for damage to your car if it is hit by an uninsured driver. This coverage also applies to drivers who purchase low insurance limits, paying for ‘underinsured motorist losses’ as well.
UMC is not required in all states, but it is a good idea to have it, even if your state does not require it. This is because there are a lot of uninsured drivers on the road. In fact, according to the Insurance Information Institute, one in four drivers in the United States is uninsured.
If you are in an accident with an uninsured driver, you may be able to file a claim with your own insurance company under your UMC coverage. Your insurance company will then try to recover the money from the uninsured driver, but there is no guarantee that they will be successful.
The amount of UMC coverage you need will depend on your individual needs. You should consider factors such as your income, your medical expenses, and your assets. You should also talk to your us to get recommendations on how much UMC coverage you should have in California.
Here are some of the benefits of having uninsured motorist coverage:
- It can help you pay for your medical expenses if you are injured in an accident caused by an uninsured driver.
- It can help you pay for lost wages if you are unable to work due to an injury caused by an uninsured driver.
- It can help you pay for damage to your car if it is hit by an uninsured driver.
- It can give you peace of mind knowing that you are protected if you are in an accident with an uninsured driver.
If you are considering buying car insurance, you should talk to your Gary Warner Insurance Agency about your California uninsured motorist coverage. It is a valuable coverage that can help you protect yourself in the event of an accident.
Now is the best time to make sure you keep your coverage in good standing and have the right coverage for you and your family.
At Gary Warner Insurance Agency we can help select the right California Auto Insurance coverage for you.