Motorcycles likely cost you a pretty penny. You might use your bike for pleasure or standard travel. But whatever your intentions, it is important to protect your bike.
If someone steals your bike, you could easily lose a mode of transportation. You could also lose a lot of your financial investments in the bike.
Preventing motorcycle theft should be among your top priorities as an owner. You can take many steps to protect theft using a variety of theft deterrent devices.
Theft Deterrent Devices for Motorcycles
Many different devices are on the market to help prevent motorcycle theft. Keep in mind, motorcycle thieves look to make quick getaways when they steal bikes. You want to make it as hard as possible for potential thieves to get to your bike.
If you feel your bike needs more protection, consider investing in these devices.
- Steering bars: By inserting these bars into your steering column, you can in effect jam your axles. Doing do prevents someone from driving away.
- Wheel jams: Fastening these attachments prevents the full rotation of your wheels. Therefore, the wheel cannot turn. Keep in mind though, that thieves sometimes remove wheels because they are easily replaceable. A thief may still be able to make off with your bike.
- Kill switches: Enabling these devices prevents the motor from running when enabled.
- Bike racks and chains: Attaching your bike to a rack helps deter theft. Remember to attach the chain to the bike’s body, not to a wheel.
- Movement alarms: When you turn them on, these alarms sound when the bike moves.
- Bike customizations: Many people think that customizing their bikes makes them more appealing to thieves. However, customizations make bikes much easier to identify after theft.
Remember, none of these devices are foolproof. It is your responsibility to be vigilant. Always maintain a vigilant watch on the bike.
Bike Insurance for Theft
Most motorcycle insurance policies cover theft for your bike and various attachments. Your insurance can likely assist you in search, replacement, recovery and repair efforts. Make sure that your comprehensive coverage includes instances of theft.
If you decide to use a theft deterrent system, talk to your motorcycle insurance agent. Your insurance carrier may offer discounts if you use certain theft deterrent devices. You could save money by using theft prevention techniques.
However, make sure that your insurance policy allows you to attach these devices at all. Some insurance policies can be strict as to what kind of anti-theft devices you can use.
Gary Warner Insurance Agency, Inc can help you get a Calabasas motorcycle insurance policy to protect your risks. Call us at (818) 706-8625 for more information.