Work Comp in California is required by law and it is one of the coverages we always get questions on. We always find people who don’t understand when they need to purchase the coverage. Regardless if employees are family members, independent contractors, salaried or volunteers, you need to carry work comp. There are exceptions and there are “tests” to verify if someone is considered an employee or an independent contractor (paying them with a 1099 doesn’t void your employer’s liability)
The California State Compensation Insurance Fund helps explain what your Workers’ Comp Liability for Independent vs Employee is https://content.statefundca.com/pdf/e10210.pdf
Some of the tests used to verify Independent Contractor vs Employees are:
- Whether the person performing the service has independently chosen the burdens and benefits of self-employment.
- Whether the person performing the service is engaged in a distinct occupation or business.
- The skill required in the particular occupation.
- Whether the employer or the person performing the service supplies the instrumentalities, tools, and place of work.
- Whether the person performing the service has the right to hire and terminate others.
- The right to terminate the relationship at will.
Gary Warner Insurance Agency can help you with your CA work comp coverage. We offer programs for a variety of accounts. Whether your business is considered High Hazard, has a High Ex Mod (Experience Modification), operates in different states (except Monopolistic states) we have a program available for you, call today at 818.706.8625.